If you are a do-it-yourselfer, there are a few high voltage electrical safety issues you should know about when troubleshooting problems with appliances such as televisions and microwaves. Tube-style televisions (which are still sold in stores) have high voltage hazards even with the power off. The same is true of microwave ovens. The chassis or frame of a television or microwave may not be safe to touch with your bare hands when it has been disassembled.
A component called a capacitor can store an electric charge long after the unit has been disconnected; those who don't realize the danger can wind up with a painful or lethal shock. Always work with rubber soled shoes while standing on a rubber mat for protection against an accidental shock. Remove all jewelry as it can conduct electricity if it accidentally comes in contact with part of the unit. If you are working with computer components, an anti-static wrist strap can help prevent damage to circuit boards through accidental static discharge. Appliances should be respected at all times--they can and often are lethal unless the proper high voltage electrical safety precautions are taken.